The RPN x Luke Brown Interview (Camp Hill, PA)

 

Luke Brown interviewing RPN and Camp Hill athlete Kobe Moore, Noah Doi, Tommy Corbin and Michael Shartle at PennLive's 2022 Fall Media Day, August 3, 2022


CAMP HILL, PA -- When you were a kid in school, did a teacher ever make you write out a career plan? 

Pulled out a blank sheet of paper, took a writing utensil out, and began to write out your dream job? 

We have all been through it. 

Lot of kids may have said professional athletes, many may have said doctors, some mentioned being an astronaut, while a few were undecided. Now while kids can change their mind as they get older, or some take more time to do, I discovered one high schooler who has turned his dreams into reality throughout this past year.

Luke Brown is a broadcaster, journalist and content creator from Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. He’s a rising senior at Camp Hill High School, who’s the host of Mid Penn Central, and the director of broadcasting and a social media intern for Camp Hill Athletics. Brown is the first addition to the RPN’s newest chapter in working with sports media personalities and content creators.

I met Brown a year ago at PennLive’s Fall Media Day for high school sports. I was aware that a high schooler, away from the athletes, was going to be in attendance but I was highly impressed in meeting the young man. He had a firm handshake and made direct eye contact, but what really set Brown apart from others was how he showed respect for my work off the rip. I knew then and there that he was a special person with a bright future ahead.

We are living in a modern day where people can be hesitant in showing love to others. Waiting for people to "blow up" and become popular, then truly appreciating their talents right from the beginning. Working aside and showing encouragement to Brown throughout last year's sports season, the growth I've seen in him has been incredible. It's very rare you see a high school student take the initiative in hustling for themselves. Brown took on different freelance roles with PennLive, Lancaster-Lebanon League, Harrisburg Senators, the United States Golf Association and others that I've lost count for *laughs*. But, the Camp Hill senior is the hardest working kid I have met in my lifetime, and I can't wait to see what he does in his last year.

Can two media outlets coexist? Of course, but let's see how well Brown can do in an RPN setting.

I caught up with the Mid Penn Central host on his sports media experience, time at Camp Hill and outlook heading into his last year.

Luke Brown Interview

When did you first start your journey?

“Hi Tyreese. I first decided I wanted to be involved in sports media in third grade as just an 8-year-old kid. I wanted to be involved in sports, and had no idea what that truly meant until I got much older. I would call games on YouTube, or even my own Madden games. I started getting more and more serious with it as time went on, but my career plans have never changed.”


For those who are unfamiliar with your work, what is Mid Penn Central?

“I started Mid Penn Central in 2022. It was a way to fill a gap that I felt there was with local sports coverage. PennLive, The Sentinel, and other outlets do an amazing job, but there’s not a ton out there and I wanted the chance to give athletes a voice, while simultaneously gaining unbelievable experience at a young age. I don’t release weekly episodes anymore, partly because of all my other amazing opportunities, but I still use Mid Penn Central as a space to cover local happenings in high school sports.”


Describe the process behind you work.

“Some people think sports journalists show up to games, talk about it, or write about it, leave and that’s all there is to it. I spend a lot of time at home looking up, and reading tons and tons of information on teams and athletes. Phone calls with players and coaches, informational articles, stat tracking, and more. It’s one of my favorite parts of the job because you become really excited to mention certain things on air, or bring up things while interviewing those people. Another huge part of the business is networking. Not a day goes by where I’m not on the search for a big event in the area, and inquiring about any media opportunities. Without those emails, cold calls, and more, I would’ve missed out on some incredible events.”

Editor: Now y’all see why I praise this kid so much.


How has your time been at Camp Hill High School?

“This fall will be my last and final year in the Camp Hill School District. I was the ninth student enrolled in my grade, and I’ve loved my time. There’s truly no better place that I could’ve chosen to grow up, make friends and eventually break into sports media. My role as a sports broadcaster at Camp Hill is so unique because I’m covering basketball players that I’ve guarded playing around at a park, or covering baseball players that I grew up playing little league with. It’s truly special, and something I won’t ever get to do again. At Camp Hill, I call all home football, basketball and various other games on NFHS Network. Our baseball games and select softball games are on my Luke Brown Broadcasting Facebook Page.”


From what we all have witnessed and understand, you are young, but out here putting in a lot of work as a media personality. How has your yearly experience been so far?

“The 2022-23 sports year was amazing. Especially the amazing finish I got to be a part of, which was a run to the state championship from the Camp Hill baseball team. For that month, my life revolved around Camp Hill baseball, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Aside from that, I covered 108 high school sporting events, including 6 State Championships, and countless breathtaking games, venues, and more. I also started as a field time coordinator with the Washington Nationals’ minor league affiliate, Harrisburg Senators. Operating the pitch clock at select games. I’ve loved every second of it, being around the experienced baseball people there, and working in Minor League Baseball as a high school kid.”


We all have our role as media, but in our free time we love to follow different teams across the country. Walk me through who your favorite teams are and why.

“It’s been a rough year for me as a sports fan *head down*. This fall was a complete dud cheering for the Denver Broncos. My grandpa is from Tennessee, and he loves Peyton Manning, so I’m also naturally a Tennessee Volunteers football fan. When Manning entered the league, my grandpa followed him around cheering for whatever team he was quarterbacking. I joined him, and we sure miss Peyton taking Denver to victory. As for baseball, I love the Yankees more than anything. I was just in Baltimore last weekend to witness Anthony Santander’s walk off, which sent me back to the hotel disappointed. I’ve seen some amazing moments as a Yankees fan, but this year has not been pretty.”


Great answers my guy. Turning back to a media perspective, what was your favorite event that you have attended so far in your career?

“I’ve been so lucky to be a part of so many moments, so this is really tough to choose. I’m a huge stadium guy. I love to sit around a press box thinking, ‘Why am I even here?’, because it’s hard to believe I have gotten this far in my career. My favorite event was Camp Hill’s baseball state championship game this past June. No, we didn’t win, but just being there was considered out of the cards by a lot of people. Our Lions gave everything they had throughout the playoffs, and the community was so involved throughout the whole thing. I sat in a Penn State press box alongside distinguished beat writers, fellow broadcasters, and others watching my best friends on the biggest stage. I can’t ask for anything more than that.”


Who would you consider your role models? 

“My mom and grandparents have always been huge role models for me. Teaching me how to do everything at 100% and work hard to make it happen, no matter what it is. Since my break into the industry, almost every local writer and beyond have been nothing but supportive and helpful. That’s taught me a lot about how to treat colleagues, and take pride in your work.” 


How do you plan on spending your last year working in high school sports?

“I plan to make the best of every minute of this last ride in high school sports. I only have a year left, so I want to take it step by step. Wednesday and Thursday this week I’ve got ‘opening day’ as I like to think of it, which is fall sports media day. One of my favorite events. I’ll do ten weeks of high school football, then on to the football playoffs. This fall, I’ve also got a lot of field hockey and soccer, then it’ll be onto winter and spring sports, and who knows what that’ll bring. I’m just ready for the season to begin!”


Thank you for joining me LB! Do you have any words of encouragement or motivation? Any last words? 

“Thanks for having me. The best words of encouragement I can give are my three general tips, which have helped me in broadcasting, but are applicable to anything. Take advantage of opportunities, nothing is beneath you, and failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”


Luke Brown pictured with Philadelphia Phillies broadcaster, Scott Franzke, June 20, 2023

Luke Brown pictured with Dave Mika, Bruce Badgely and Bob Long at the 2022 PIAA state football championships, December 10, 2022

2023 Camp Hill Lions baseball team

Follow Luke Brown

Mid Penn Central Coverage


Comments